Burst pipes, leaks and easy access for a poorly situated stopcock are all problems that can cause at the least, inconvenience and at worst water damage and a large bill. In fact in December 2010 there were over 100,000 insurance claims in the UK for burst pipes and water leaks with an average cost of £6700.00.
In most properties the stopcock is either hidden away at the back of a cupboard or hidden behind furniture and in some cases thehomeowner may not even know where it is. This can be a problem when you want to turn off the mains but a catastrophe if there is a bust pipe or leak with water cascading down the walls.
With Surestop turning off the mains water supply can now be done with a flick of a switch. With a range of British designed and manufactured switches, both on-pipe and remote, that use nothing more than water pressure to isolate the incoming mains water supply (so no batteries or electricity) there is a Surestop to suite every need.
Benefits for the consumer:
- Easy access in the case of an emergency.
- Easy operation, just a simple switch, and no more weeping stopcock spindles and stuck valves.
- Peace of mind when leaving their property (home, caravan, boat, business etc).
- No more struggling to turn off a difficult or stiff stopcock.
- Unaffected by limescale.
Benefits for the installer:
- Quick and easy install – push fit 15mm and 22mm fittings.
- No more emptying cupboards or crawling behind work surfaces and panels to find the stopcock.
- Compliance with the Lifetime Homes standards click here for more information.
- No more surprises when the stopcock is stuck or doesn’t isolate the incoming supply.
- Know where the mains isolation is, an end to guesswork.
- Surestop Stopcocks are all WRAS approved for use as a stopcock.
And here are just a few facts which show the potential for damage:
- Every year 1 in 8 homes in the UK is likely to suffer a burst pipe or water leak.*
- 1 in 3 people in the UK do not know where their stopcock is located.**
- Burst pipes and water leaks now cost the UK insurance industry more than claims for burglary or fire***
- Some insurers are raising excess levels for water damage to £250 and more.****
Surestop stopcocks are a low cost solution to the many problems associated with traditional brass stopcocks and a perfect addition to any job of any size that will benefit both the customer and engineer.
We stock the two main types of Surestop:
SS/15/RPL – The Surestop Remote Stopcock is WRAS approved for installation as a stopcock and there is no longer a requirement to have a brass stopcock fitted alongside the Surestop, which will save costs and reduce installation time.
SS/15/SPL – The Surestop Stopcock is “a direct replacement for your brass stopcock”, and is WRAS approved for use as a stopcock.
Click here for the manufacturers website.
* Research undertaken by Halifax Home Insurance
** Research undertaken by AA Insurance Services
*** Industry statistics provided by the Association of British Insurers show that water damage claims resulting from leaks and burst pipes are increasing each year with £93 million paid out by the industry in 2008 compared to £35 million in 2005.
**** Figures provided by The British Insurance Brokers’ Association